Our Beginners Courses are friendly and enjoyable and are designed to teach the basic skills of archery. Almost anyone can enjoy archery, although we do have strict conditions regarding the participation of young persons.
Next beginners course starts: Tuesday 6th November
Tuesday courses 6pm-9pm (course begins at 6:30pm)
18th September – 23 October 2018 UPDATE : This course is now full
6th November – 11th December 2018 UPDATE : This course is now full
15th January – 19th February 2019
5th March – 9th April 2019
Saturday course 8:30am-12pm (course begins at 9am)
How much does the course cost?
£65 per person. We currently accept payment by cheque and cash. Each course has a maximum of 12 spaces.
How long is each course?
Six weekly sessions, held on Tuesdays at 6pm, which are approximately 2 hours long. Complimentary tea and coffee is provided.
We will also be trialling a Saturday courses which are separate to the Tuesday courses. The Saturday courses will begin at 8:30am and these are also approximately 3 hours long.
All we ask is that you turn up at the specified time. This allows 30 minutes before the course starts for setting up.
Do I need my own equipment?
No. All equipment is provided by Assheton Bowmen.
What is covered in the course?
Beginners Courses are held at our clubhouse on Victoria Avenue East in Manchester.
Once the course is completed, all beginners will take away:
- an understanding of the basic skills of shooting;
- basic technique, safety and etiquette to the level required to join an archery club;
- the ability to shoot a recurve bow with reasonable confidence and skill;
- you will also have been introduced to other types of bows (traditional longbow, compound bow and others); and
- a certificate providing proof that you have completed a Beginners’ Course and safe to shoot in a club environment. This certificate can be used to join any archery club.
Anyone wanting to join Assheton Bowmen must have completed an Archery GB Beginners’ Course, either at Assheton Bowmen, or another archery club.
All Beginners Courses are run in accordance with the Archery GB guidelines.