Our Beginners Courses are friendly and enjoyable and are designed to teach the basic skills of archery. Almost anyone can enjoy archery, although we do have strict conditions regarding the participation of young persons.
Next beginners course starts: TBA
Course dates (more to follow)
Tuesday 2nd February 2016 – Completed
Tuesday 22nd March 2016 – Completed
Tuesday 30th August 2016 – Completed
Tuesday 18th October 2016 – Completed
Tuesday 10th January 2017 – COURSE FULL
Tuesday 28th February 2017 – COURSE FULL
Download application form
How much does the course cost?
£60 per person. We currently accept payment by cheque and cash. Each course has a maximum of 12 spaces.
How long is each course?
Six weekly sessions, held on Tuesdays at 6:30pm, which are approximately 2.5 hours long. Complimentary tea and coffee is provided.
Do I need my own equipment?
No. All equipment is provided by Assheton Bowmen.
What is covered in the course?
Beginners Courses are held at our clubhouse on Victoria Avenue East in Manchester.
Once the course is completed, all beginners will take away:
- an understanding of the basic skills of shooting;
- basic technique, safety and etiquette to the level required to join an archery club;
- the ability to shoot a recurve bow with reasonable confidence and skill;
- you will also have been introduced to other types of bows (traditional longbow, compound bow and others); and
- a certificate providing proof that you have completed a Beginners’ Course and safe to shoot in a club environment. This certificate can be used to join any archery club.
Anyone wanting to join Assheton Bowmen must have completed an Archery GB Beginners’ Course, either at Assheton Bowmen, or another archery club.
All Beginners Courses are run in accordance with the Archery GB guidelines.